History of Lincoln Theatre in Mount Vernon
About Lincoln Theatre
Lincoln Theatre, based in Mount Vernon, Washington state, was initially constructed in 1926. It was a silent movie and vaudeville house. At present it a place where different kinds of movies are shown, as well as concerts and other activities are held.
This theatre is known for one of only 98 Wurlitzer theatre organs that are still located in their original installation. Nowadays, the theatre works with a significant amount of local schools. Lots of school performances, workshops and annual concerts by secondary school bands are held in the Lincoln Theatre.
In 1987 the Lincoln Theatre Center Foundation was founded. It is a nonprofit organization that is supported by over 800 members from Skagit and neighboring counties. In 1926 the cost of the building was $100,000, the cost of Wurlitzer Organ – $22,500, the cost of Furnishings & Equipment – $32,500, the weekly Payroll – $160.
Here are the photos of the Lincoln Theatre Showplace that was made in 1926.
The Lincoln Theatre is famous for its beauty and originality. The first owner of the Lincoln Theatre was Elden Weigel Pollock. He enlisted noted Seattle architect William Aitken to design the Lincoln in a modified Renaissance Revival style. The official opening of the Lincoln Theatre was on April 21, 1926. It was the most fashionable theatre around the time it was built. Some theatres in other cities had an Egyptian motif and Chinese motif, but the Lincoln one was different. It had a Spanish theme.
A business partner of Elden Pollock manager Edwin Halberg designed the luxurious carpet, the decorative effect on the walls, the hangings and draperies, and the lighting effects. The main colors were blue, yellow, and red. The foyer was lit with quaint, wrought-iron lanterns with Spanish design patterns. The walls have what's known as a travertine finish.
About a year after the theatre opened, lots of classic films appeared in the Lincoln Theatre. During the 1930s, the theatre was one stop on the West Coast vaudeville circuit.
The Lincoln closed in the mid-1980s and faced an uncertain future, local groups rallied behind the venue and established the Lincoln Theatre Center Foundation. A tax-exempt organization, the Foundation engineered the restoration and reopening of the Lincoln in 1987, in large part due to the fundraising and volunteer efforts of the greater Mount Vernon community.
From 2003 the Lincoln Theatre continues to serve the residents of Mount Vernon like a local performing arts center.